WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS

October 03, 2015




Ginger, Lemon and Coconut Crunch Slice

when life gives you lemons, make a lemon tray bake (or a Gin & Tonic as the saying goes). However, on this day in particular, life was not giving me lemons, nor was it giving me a Gin & Tonic. I was mildly sedated on my sofa at home. Being cooped up all day is no fun at all... Even if the rain was cascading down the window panes and the wind was howling, whipping tree branches in all directions, leaves being plucked from boughs in successive motion, I didn't want to be here. I sometimes wish that I could be tucked under woollen blankets, with a roaring fire, marshmallows on sticks, oozing their sticky sugary gooey-ness into the flames and a mug of hot chocolate at my side to keep me warm when the weather is so atrocious outside. But this is England. And although these creature comforts can so easily be arranged, today was not one of those days.

To my dismay, I was stuck. Stuck at home, with nothing but sleep and tea to comfort me. I was, unfortunately, unable to make it out the house due to an ongoing injury that had left me bed-bound for a few days and so with withdrawal symptoms of the outside world, I gathered some baking books and settled down to draw inspiration for a much needed weekend bake (in between episodes of drowsy consciousness and torpid sleep). Not only that, but I could feel a cold coming on; a full on beast that I am point blanc refusing to give in to. 

Lemsip and Night Nurse might be the quick fix, but I've always preferred to tackle colds in a more natural way: essential oils, lemon, ginger and honey tea and of course, a good steam. But who could resist something just a little more delectable. Something to tickle the taste buds in a way that Strepsils can't. This might not cure your cold, however it'll lift your mood and give you a little pi-zang of energy that no over-the-counter medication can.

So, when the weekend finally rolled round - I made these.



Ginger, Lemon and Coconut Crunch Slice
Makes 12

For the base:
300g plain flour

1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
40g desiccated coconut
220g golden caster sugar
250g unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Zest of 2 lemons

For the topping:
200g caster sugar

10g golden syrup 
3 tbsp lemon zest
100ml lemon juice
3 eggs
Jar of lemon curd

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F then grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Place the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt, lemon zest and desiccated coconut into a food processor and blitz to mix until roughly combined. Add the butter and vanilla extract, the blitz again until the mixture resembles wet sand. You want it to be mixed more than just fine breadcrumbs, but not yet fully combined. 
3. Press the mixture into your lined tin with the back of a spoon and bake for 30-40mins, or until golden and firm to the touch. Once baked, set aside to cool, but leave the oven on. 
4. To make the lemon topping, heat the golden syrup gently on a low heat to "liqufy" a little. Then place in a bowl with the sugar, eggs, lemon zest and juice.
5. Whisk until combined and carefully pour oven the baked base.
6. Return to the oven for 20mins, leave to cool completely and refrigerate overnight. 
7. In the morning, spread a layer of lemon curd over the top to give it that final zing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment